Wednesday, July 20, 2016

A Thank You from Emma.

Dear Parents, church family, and friends:

I lay here on my air mattress while your youth are drifting off to sleep, and I needed to pause and give thanks. Thanks for the opportunity to be with these amazing kids this week. Thanks for the hospitality we are receiving here in NJ. Thanks for being called to be Pastor of FPCN and get to learn from your children and to watch as their lives are being transformed. God is working through these kids this week in ways I couldn't have planned or even imagined. You are getting to hear their stories through their blog posts, but to get to sit back and watch as they work together as a team, laugh together, cry together, and be in awe together has been the biggest highlight for me. I'm so proud of these kids, for all that they are and all that they have accomplished. 

Several people have told me this week how great these kids are. As leaders of these kids, we always expect a lot from them. We know what kind of work they can do and the kinds of hearts they have for the Lord and for the Lords people, but to be proven wrong each day because they go above and beyond has been amazing. While the bulk of my work is planning, teaching, and organizing...I feel above all my job this week has been to sit back and watch. Watch them grown and learn and try something new. It's been an amazing first half of the week. We still have so much left to do and I'm not ready to leave (Although I could go for my own bed). 

I also have been reflecting on the past four years. It's bittersweet to watch our seniors this week. We started off this wild and crazy high school journey at the same time and to hear them talk about leaving for college and all that awaits them in the fall is crazy...but so wonderful. I've had such a unique and pleasure watching how much they've grown in 4 years and how they are truly the leaders of this trip...passing on traditions and work ethic to the underclassmen, just like how the previous classes did for them. 

My heart is full of love and joy!  I truly love these kids, love the look on their faces when they know they did something amazing, and love how they have opened their hearts to new people and new ways God can use them. Can't say enough about them. 

And I can say enough about the adults on the trip. Amy Newton has been with me on each trip for the past 4 years and knows what I'm thinking before I even think it.  She is my right hand woman and the comfort for us on the trip.  Alyson Payran brings so much humor that Keeps us laughing but also so much depth to keep us thinking and reflecting. Josh has brought so much to or trip since this area is his "backyard', close to where he grew up. He has brought so much wisdom with his reflective nature and eagerness to teach the kids. Bekah not only has brought her music talent with her but she has brought her ability to friend others and engage in deep conversations. She had been a comfortable person for many of our youth to turn to and to help them open up. For that and so much more I am thankful. And lastly Rob, my partner in crime, is our working guide. Not only would we be lost on the work sites without him but he continues to guide me and support me as I lead the group. Having him here is a huge blessing. These kids get to have the opportunity to learn from him both on the work site but also through conversation and prayer. Not many heads of staffs take the week to do mission with the youth, so I think our youth have a real amazing opportunity that he comes one these trips each year. 

So parents- thank you for sharing your children with me (and all the leaders). Thank you for raising amazing kids who seek God and seek to serve God. Thank you for putting up with paperwork, emails, fundraisers, and last minute stuff, so that these weeks can truly be transforming for them. Thank you for your prayers and support. I promise to bring them all back safe in a few days...and I hope to bring them back changed (in the best way). 
All our love to you all back home. Keep rating for us...we are praying for you!  

Joyfully...and goodnight (I also promise to go to bed now) 
Emma

No comments:

Post a Comment